Tuesday, December 14, 2010

“Where are you from? and What Did You Say?

The articles I found were a mix of a few topics we were to blog about this term. It has to do with immigration, racism and black women. I chose this topic because I can identify with some of the obstacles people of colour face as I have ran into many instances where I have been made fun of or told I was unable to do something, as well as had people assume I am an immigrant and that English is not my first language. While this did not have any personal damaging effects, it can have an immense impact on someone’s emotional state. You can feel a sense hopelessness to be accepted into society and along with that the symptoms of depression.
In the Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health (CJCMH) one of the topics discussed was the socioeconomic status of black women in Montreal specifically. It states that back in 1996 the unemployment rate for black people was two and a half times higher than those who were not black (Whitley & Green, 2008). It is also interesting to note that those unemployed or earning a significantly lower income than non blacks were women (Whitley & Green, 2008).
          For the women who do not have support the CJCMH talked about different organizations these women belong to. They recorded large occurrences of church attendance which was assumed to have a positive mental impact on these women and their families (Whitley & Green, 2008). Another issue women of low income and support tend to endure is living in poorer neighbourhoods and this can cause a host of emotion and a severe mental impact including anxiety or depression (Whitley & Green, 2008).  
          When I was four years old I had befriended a little girl in my daycare. One day she came to school and informed me that I could not be her friend anymore because my skin was brown. Whether this was against her will or from the input of her mother, I could not understand what it was about my skin that would prevent her from playing with me. From then on throughout my school years I was always very aware that I tended to be one of two or three kids or the only black kid in my classes. I was able to make many friends none of whom were racist or malicious, but when I entered junior high and suddenly looks were the most important thing I noticed even more how different I looked. My hair was not the same as everyone else’s and often the butt of jokes. Watching TV and seeing commercials for shampoo that came in blonde, brunette, or red always made me think “hey they forgot a colour!”
         Another article I found from the Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology (CRSA) was in my eyes properly titled “what colour is your English?” This article talks about how accents impact those who immigrate to this country and how simply having an accent “gives away” the fact that you were not born here and may impede your abilities to get work or a place to live (Creese & Kambere, 2003).
          From my own personal experience sometimes you don’t even have to open your mouth and speak. Just by looking at my skin you know that my family immigrated here. Oddly enough unless you are aboriginal everyone immigrated here at some point…My parents were not born here and neither was my brother however I was. I have been asked “how long have you been here?” or “your parents have an accent, so what language do you speak?” People are sometimes shocked that we speak English! In Australia people have accents and speak English, so why wouldn’t that be the case in any other country? It is very common to assume as soon as you have an accent you don’t speak English. It is this controversial issue about having an accent and being an immigrant and the effects of racism and discrimination that the CRSA talks about. One of the quotes in the article I found interesting was: “...common-sense discourses construct people of colour as immigrants and immigrants as people of colour...” (Creese & Kambere, 2003).
            The Study from the CJCMH found that there were six themes discovered from the black women that took part in the survey. The psychosocial stressors were financial adversity, racism, and absent fathers. The psychosocial buffers were family, religious activity and ethnic identity (Whitley & Green, 2008). While lack of father support showed to have an impact on mental health (including stress, anxiety, depression) it was also noted that in some cases, the closeness of extended family and friends can help compensate for absent fathers (Whitley & Green, 2008). In my own personal experience this is very common in my own family and friend’s families, that those who immigrate to Canada have very strong connections to friends and family and often share a large house or live next to each other.
            I believe Canada has a long way to go when it comes to not jumping to conclusions or dismissing an immigrant once you hear them speak. You can have the most impressive resume but as soon as you speak with an accent employers can be more apprehensive to hire you (Creese & Kambere, 2003). This was the experience of some of the women who took part in the study in from the article by Creese and Kambere’s (2003).
I had a teacher in high school who had moved here from China and had to leave his wife and son back home. It was hard to understand him but many of the kids in my class would whisper things like “do you know what he’s saying? He can barely speak English!” When in reality if they would stop talking and listen to him more carefully they would have understood him. I know that sometimes it is difficult to understand an accent, but I wonder if people want to understand sometimes. I don’t know what it will take to erase discrimination or if it’s even possible but I believe the first step is education. The more knowledge you have the less ignorant you will be.
 Jennilee M.

Creese, G., & Kambere, E. N. (2003). What Colour Is Your English?
                 Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology , 565-573.
Whitley, R., & Green, S. (2008). Black Women in Quebec:
                  Psycholosocial Stressors and Buffers Affecting Black Women in
                  Montreal. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health , 37-48.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment