Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What Women Go Through


When trying to decide which direction to take for this post on feminism I came across a lot of different material about women with mentally disabilities, and the chances they will be physically or sexually abused, and some of the rights that are taken from them.

In Mullaly one of his points is that women are disproportionately the victims of male violence. (p.161) In the paper that I read from Karin L. Raye called Mental Disability Rights International, Women’s Rights Advocacy Initiative, Violence, Women and Mental Disability she wrote about how “women are a result of both gender-related bias and disability related stigma, so women with mental disabilities experience dual discrimination.”(1999, p.2) "This discrimination compounded by the geographical and social isolation of institutional living, renders women with mental disabilities especially vulnerable to a broad range of human rights violations, including sexual and physical violence and the denial of and restrictions of their reproductive rights." (Women’s Rights Advocacy Initiative, Violence, Women and Mental Disability, 1999;p.2)



The big thing that this paper looks at is the vulnerability for women living in institutions. According to Women’s Rights Advocacy Initiative, Violence, Women and Mental Disability, sixty to eighty percent of women living in psychiatric care experience violence.(1999) You would think that with this high percentage their could be more the state could do to stop, or at least try and bring this number down. 
This summer I had the opportunity to work in group homes which are homes for persons with  mental disabilities. I think the most challenging home I worked at was a home that belonged to two women who had recently been transferred from an institution. You could see the neglect and abuse that they had gone through just to make it, and the fact that neither of them could not talk only scares me more. To see them explore and realize that this was their house and that the staff were there to help them was really something to see. They learned to bond with the staff, and began trusting us almost in a way.
I think one of the things that did surprise me about my job was that the women were uneducated about their bodies, and often didn’t know what was going on. In the Women’s Rights Advocacy Initiative, Violence, Women and Mental Disability it talks about how many communities perceive women with mental disabilities as asexual, unmarriageable, ill-equipped to parent and undeserving of motherhood.(p.8) To me this seems like a touchy issue because yes some women who have mental disabilities are not capable of raising a child, but then again some women who are labelled as fit to raise a child don’t do such a great job either. It’s a hard topic to tip toe around because according to Mullaly, “women have the greatest responsibility for the family, including child care and elder care.(p.161) If a women is not capable of fulfilling these tasks it seem they are looked down upon. 
In some ways not letting a person know what is going on with their body is a better option because they don’t know what they are missing. But the more you think about this statement the worse it starts to sound. My professor made a comment that she thought that women with mental disabilities would still have sexual feelings, which I know is true because it was evident in some of my clients. My thinking is that by the lack of knowledge these feelings could be confusing. But then on the other had these sexual feeling are confusing to anyone if they are educated or not. The thing that I struggled with this summer is how you let women with mental disabilities wonder and be confused about her own self. I don’t think there is ever really going to be a “right” decision, but like I was taught this summer a woman with mental disabilities is still a woman and she should be treated with the same respect and class that she deserves.
Alyssa V


References

Mullaly, B. (2007). The Social Democratic Paradigm. In B. Mullaly, The New Structural
               Social Work: Third Edition
 (pp. 160-168). Oxford University Press.

Karin L. Raye, Esq. (1999)  Women’s Rights Advocacy Initiative, Mental Disability Rights International


6 comments:

  1. Your post really got me thinking about how it would feel like to be uneducated about my own body. And since I’m not in that specific situation I can only imagine how it really feels but I know I would be terrified. It’d be hard to make a decision on whether someone should educate the woman or leave it alone, and although I believe people should be educated about important matters, it probably differs on the situation the woman is in and whether not they can handle it.
    The statistic on the percentage of women living in psychiatric care experiencing violence is very high. I know people have their reasons, but it’s astonishing how many women endure constant violence knowing that it leads to big consequences, psychologically and physically. Violence usually has psychological repercussions and because the women experienced violence, it was probably a high factor to their “break-down”.
    - Kristal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post. It also has me thinking about the question, if I didn't know that I could have children would I miss it? I was always a firm believer in what I don't know can't hurt me.
    To be uneducated about my body scares me. All the changes and things my body goes through I understand, so when it happens I don't panic.
    Thats great that you had the chance to work with those two women. Its even more amazing that they actually grew to trust someone after going through what they had.

    - Samantha G 7637608

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristal,
    I am glad it got you thinking! Yes this abuse does have psychological repercussions. The World Health Organization that was quoted in the paper I read said at least one in every five women in the world has been physically or sexually abused by a man. Also that more women die each day from different gender based violence, then any other human rights abuse. The big one is that rape and domestic violence are now recognized as a major cause of disability and death among women of reproductive age all over the world. When I read these stats the first thing that I thought of was if this is such a big issue how come we aren’t doing more to prevent it. But then my second thought is that there are a lot of different places for women to go and receive the help they need. It’s the women that can’t get the help, or don’t know about their options, those are the women that I think we as a society have to do a better job at helping.

    Samantha,
    I was just as amazed when they started trusting the staff. I really wonder how these women could switch off all the bad times, and begin to basically start a new life. It’s amazing what a person can do when they have a safe environment around them!

    Alyssa V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alyssa,
    I actually worked in one group home last year where the residents were sent to "sexuality resource" classes and they were very much given info on their bodies. For the agency that ran the house it was considered a regular thing, if the residents were curious about sex to attend these classes. They would learn the whole nine yards and how to use contraceptives. But the thing is- they often forget so that is when the staff have to step in a little.

    David H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post made me start thinking of eugenics and I started researching about forced sterilization. Beginning in 1927 forced sterilizations were legal and were performed on people due to mental illness, developmental disabilities, history of prostitution, sex out of wedlock, racism, and poverty. Laws that allowed forced sterilization were not repealed until 1974 in some places with an estimate of 70,000 American people being sterilized against their will. This completely disregards your rights as a human being. I don’t believe in eugenics but I do believe that if you are unable to care for yourself then you are unable to care for your child. If you have the money to pay someone to care for yourself and the children then I don’t see a problem. Your financial situation must be considered when deciding whether or not to reproduce because that can be measured unlike your future parenting abilities.

    Jessica N.

    http://attorneyinjurymichiganpersonal.blogsml.com/forced-sterilization-in-america-and-canada.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post makes a very valid point. Many people believe or look at people with mental disablilities as not having any sexual feelings or the desire to have a loving relationship. Thanks for bring up this misconseption.
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete